Open position: Bioinformatician (Data Manager)
The Institute for Molecular Medicine Finland (FIMM) is an international research institute focusing on human genomics and personalised medicine at the Helsinki Institute of Life Science (HiLIFE) of the University of Helsinki. FIMM is the leading genetics and genomics research unit in Finland and the coordinator of the FinnGen study. We are managing petabytes of human genetic and health data and these datasets will increase tenfold in the forthcoming years. We’re daily collaborating with top researchers and research institutes in the world and international health-care companies to improve health and well-being on a global scale.
We are looking for a bioinformatician to look after our data repository of human genome data as a part of the data team. The work includes managing various data collections, performing data retrieval and pre-processing for research projects, and developing tools and practices for data management and processing.
The primary responsibilities of the position include:
- Managing large genomic data repositories of variant data (WGS, WES and genotyping chip data)
- Pre-processing and quality control of sequencing variant and chip data
- Execution and development of bioinformatics pipelines in high performance computing environment
- Support research projects by preparing and delivering datasets on time
- Evaluate new methods and solutions to manipulate sequencing data efficiently in distributed computing environments with a focus on data protection
- Ensure data security
Qualification and experience:
- Master’s degree in bioinformatics, computational biology, computer sciences, or equivalent
- Capability to work effortlessly in Unix environment and at least intermediate programming skills
- Previous experience with genomics data, data science or distributed computing environments is appreciated but not required – yet ability to quickly learn new things is essential
- Solution-seeking, proactive and responsible way of working and keeping deadlines under pressure
- Experience working in public cloud environment is a plus
- Proficiency in oral and written English, our team is international so Finnish skills are not required
We offer a great opportunity to be part of leading big data projects working in the forefront of the new wave of big data application for genome health in the field of genomics and building solutions with a real positive impact on healthcare and well-being. We are a dynamic, vibrant and highly motivated international team. Our friendly, flexible, and supportive working culture make us a great place to work.
Salary and contract:
We will offer a competitive salary that will be based on previous qualifications, experience and performance in the position. The contract will be offered for one and a half years, and may be extended.
To apply, please submit the application, together with your CV and salary request, through the University of Helsinki electronic recruitment system by clicking on Apply for job. Please apply no later than December 5th, 2018.
For further information please visit our website at www.fimm.fi and/or contact Jarmo Harju, jarmo.harju (at)helsinki.fi or project coordinator Sari Kivikko, sari.kivikko(at)helsinki.fi (+358 40 567 0826).